Near Morrisburg in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Aultsville Train Station and Locomotive 1008
La Gare Aultsville et la Locomotive No. 1008
The St. Lawrence Parks Commission gratefully acknowledges the Save the Train Committee’s contribution of time and effort to fundraise and assist with the joint restoration project of the Aultsville Train Station.
Grand Trunk locomotive 1008 is an 8 wheeler 2-6-0 Mogul of the E10a class built in 1930 by the Canadian Locomotive Company (CLC) at Kingston, Ontario. Coach 3474 was retired in August 1957 and was soon after donated to the Ontario St. Lawrence Development Commission. The train stands on a section of the original Grand Trunk Railway track that was left in place at the time of the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway in the 1950s.
The Aultsville Train Station was constructed between 1866 and 1889 for the Grand Trunk Railway Company. Originally located in Aultsville, one of the villages that were lost as a result of the flooding during the creation of the St. Lawrence Seaway, the station was donated to the St. Lawrence Parks Commission and relocated to its present location in the late 1950s.
La locomotive 1008 au Grand-Trone est un «Mogul» 2-6-0 à huit roues de la classe E10a, construite en 1910 par la Canadian Locomotive Company (CLC) à Kingston, Ontario. La voiture-coach 3474 a été mise hors service au mois d’août 1957 et, peu après, fut donnée à l’Ontario-St. Lawrence Development Commission. Le train se trouve sur une partie de la voie ferrée originale du chemin de fer de Grand-Trone laissé en place au moment de la construction de la Voie maritime de Saint-Laurent dans les années 1950.
La gare Aultsville a été construite entre 1866 et 1889 pour la compagnie du chemin de fer du Grant-Trone. Originellement située à Aultsville, l’un des villages engloutis lors de le création de la Voie maritime du Saint-Laurent, le gare a été donnée à la Commission des parcs du Saint-Laurent et déménagée à son emplacement actuel vers la fin des années 1950.
Erected by St. Lawrence Park Commission.
Location. 44° 56.4′ N, 75° 5.418′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13501 Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry County Road, Morrisburg, Ontario K0C 2G0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battlefield of Crysler’s Farm (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Battle of Crysler’s Farm 1813 (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Battle of Crysler’s Farm (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Loyalist American Regiments / Loyalists of the Indian Nations / Sir John Johnson (approx. 1.7 kilometers away); Sir James Pliny Whitney (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); The Rev. Johann Samuel Schwerdtfeger (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Holstein Friesian Cattle in Ontario (approx. 5.3 kilometers away); Wilson Hill Wildlife Management Area (approx. 6.2 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morrisburg.
More about this marker. The Aultsville Train Station is located in Upper Canada Village Park.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.