Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Fort Cemetery
Troops here protected the San Antonio-San Diego mail line and quelled Indian raids into Mexico on the infamous Comanche Trail.
This cemetery testifies to the hardships of frontier life: no headstone was erected for a person over 40. In 1888 (after the fort was permanently closed in 1886), remains of the 56 soldiers buried here were moved to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3731.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 30° 53.502′ N, 102° 52.684′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is at the intersection of North Water Street and East 8th Street, on the left when traveling north on North Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Stockton Officers' Quarters (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Stockton Guard House St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Comanche Springs (approx. half a mile away); Site of Fort Stockton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Stockton (approx. 0.7 miles away).
More about this marker. Site entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.