Fort Smith in Sebastian County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Clues from the Past
Fort Smith National Historic Site
Historical accounts note that the second Fort Smith (1838-1871) had three water wells. The only one that has been located is under the circular patch of grass in front of you. Sheltered by the small gazebo visible in the photo, this well supplied water throughout much of the building's history. After 1870, the well was replaced by other water sources such as cisterns and water pumped from the river. Look at the historic photographs and compare them to the building you see today. Notice clues of its former appearance by examining bricked in windows, remnants of porch foundations, changing roof lines, and brick color variations.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 35° 23.298′ N, 94° Touch for map. The marker is in front of the Fort Smith National Historic Site Visitor Center and Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Parker Avenue, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barracks, Courthouse, Jail (a few steps from this marker); Meeting of Nations (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Federal Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Fort Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederates Occupy The Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); The Flagstaff (within shouting distance of this marker); Officer’s Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); The Women’s Jail, 1872-1888 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Smith.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 11, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.