Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington Highlands in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6

 
 
Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 19, 2014
1. Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker
Inscription. On March 30, 1791, a group of six men, bundled in great coats, could be seen riding on horseback over a "wilderness" on the Potomac River. The leader was George Washington, first President of the United States, who was to approve the site selected for a new capital city authorized by the Constitution. This boundary milestone, southeast No. 6, still standing on its original location, was set here in 1792 under orders of President Washington by Major Andrew Ellicott, Surveyor.

Just 53 years later, in 1845, the Henry Gilpin Company was founded in Baltimore. Importing crude drugs by clipper ship, Gilpin was among the first to assay and standardize for product uniformity and dependable service to the apothecary practicing in the settlements of our early pioneers. This old gas lamp is an original taken from the cobblestone streets of the old Port City.
 
Erected by the Henry Gilpin Company.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Original Federal Boundary Stones marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 49.889′ N, 76° 59.275′ W. Marker was in Washington Highlands, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker could be reached from Southern Avenue
Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 21, 2005
2. Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker
Boundary Stone and Lamp Post
SE. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 901 Southern Avenue Southeast, Washington DC 20032, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Original Federal Boundary Stone Southeast 6 (here, next to this marker); Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 5 (approx. one mile away); Original Federal Boundary Stone Southeast 7 (approx. one mile away in Maryland); Fort Carroll (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Greble (approx. 1.5 miles away); In Memory of Col. Raynal C. Bolling (approx. 1.5 miles away); Republic F-105D Thunderchief (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Elizabeths Hospital (approx. 1.7 miles away).
 
Regarding Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6. In 2008, an automobile chased by DC police jumped the curb and smashed into the Baltimore street lamp and DC Boundary Stone SE 6. The DAR fence was crushed and the stone broken off at its base. The stone currently resides in the DC Surveyor's Office on 14th Street. The Henry Gilpin Drug Company building was being used as a church when the accident happened. The building is currently unoccupied.
 
Also see . . .  Life and Times of Boundary Stone SE 6. East of the River Magazine,
Boundary Stone SE 6 DAR Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 21, 2005
3. Boundary Stone SE 6 DAR Plaque
Original Federal Boundary Stone
District of Columbia
Placed 1791-1792
Protected by the Martha Washington Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
1916
July 2012 (Submitted on April 24, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 21, 2005
4. Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker
1792 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 21, 2005
5. 1792
Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 21, 2005
6. Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6
Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 21, 2005
7. Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6
Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 19, 2014
8. Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker
Lamp Missing
Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 19, 2014
9. Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 Marker
No Lamp Post
Stump of Boundary Stone image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 19, 2014
10. Stump of Boundary Stone
Stump of Boundary Stone SE 6 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 19, 2014
11. Stump of Boundary Stone SE 6
Marker Missing image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 11, 2015
12. Marker Missing
The John Gilpin & Co. marker has been removed.
Stone Returned image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 11, 2015
13. Stone Returned
Boundary Stone SE 6 has returned.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on April 11, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on April 24, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   12, 13. submitted on April 11, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement