Trains, Grains, and More Trains
Welcome to Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
—Settled 1837 - Incorporated 1859 —
The trains allowed Glen Rock to send out what was made, as well as bring in new industries, due to the accessibility. The trains pumped in vitality, encouragement and convenience. The large brick building at the right was built by Emmanuel Sheffer in 1856. It has been home to the Railroad ticket office, Sheffer's merchantile [sic] business, a large meeting hall, Glen Rock's newspaper - The Item from 1870 - 1876 and the First National Bank of Glen Rock from 1864 - 1876. In 1874 the Pennsylvania Railroad bought the building. In 1961 the building was bought and razed by Aero Oil. On October 25, 1992 the last train swayed and clacked over the tracks through town. Today, thousands of people each year use the same path to ride bikes, walk, jog, bird watch, etc.
[Inset image captions read]
Looking south towards Seitzland, the Main Street crossing is just ahead. On the right, Neuhaus'es will sell you farming products or hardware, while across the street you can buy a monument, get a haircut, mail a letter, work at the cigar or sewing factory, buy a stove and more...
Looking North toward Centerville. In 1900 Wesley Koller built his five-story carriage factory on the left. In 1893 Israel Glatfelter built his clothing store in front of the flour mill he owned from 1885 to 1918. The mill was originally a woolen mill built
This Mural is presented to the borough of Glen Rock by the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society, Atlantis Oil, State Representative Ron Miller, State Senator Mike Waugh and a Department of Community and Economic Development grant. Mural painted by Marshall Adams. In memory of Don Swartz, former mayor, council member, charter member of Glen Rock Historic Preservation, and honorary member of the Glen Rock Carolers.
Erected 2010 by the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society and Others.
Location. 39° 47.659′ N, 76° 43.932′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Heritage Rail Trail Park Crossing, on the right when traveling north on Water Street. Touch for map. Mural is on the south side of the convenience store at the intersection of Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 216) and Water Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 Main Street, Glen Rock PA 17327, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Creek and Rail (here, next to this marker); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (a few steps from this marker); Cold Spring Hotel (within shouting
Also see . . . History of Glen Rock, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.