“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

West Side Grounds

Home Field of the Chicago National League Ball Club from 1893 to 1915

West Side Grounds Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sue Swackhamer, April 11, 2015
1. West Side Grounds Marker
First Game: May 14, 1893 (Cincinnati 13, Chicago 12)
Last Game: October 13, 1915 (Chicago 7, St. Louis 2)
Seating Capacity: 16,000
Career Record at West Side Grounds: 1,018 wins, 640 loses
World Series Champions: 1907, 1908
National League Champions: 1906, 1907, 1908, 1910

In 1891 the Chicago Ball Club bought this site and built a ball park for $30,000. Bordered by Polk, Lincoln (Wolcott), Taylor and Wood Streets, the ballpark has a covered grandstand of steel and wood, open-air seating along both foul lines, and an upper deck with box seats.

In 1906 the Chicago Cubs at West Side Grounds won a major league record 116 games and the ballpark hosted the first intra-city world series game between the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago White Sox. In 1907 and 1908 the Chicago Cubs became the first team to win consecutive World Series titles. The ballpark hosted it last World Series in 1910 between the Cubs and the Philadelphia Athletics.

The Chicago Cubs moved to Weeghman Park (Wrigley Field) in 1916. West Side Grounds was sold in 1919 for $400,000 to the state of Illinois for a research and educational hospital from which grew the nation’s largest medical district.

The phrase “Way out in left field” originated at West Side Grounds. This marker
West Side Grounds Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sue Swackhamer, April 11, 2015
2. West Side Grounds Marker
is located near the site of the centerfield clubhouse and flagpole. The main entrance and ticket window were located at approximately 835 South Wolcott.
Erected 2008 by Way Out in Left Field Society, Illinois Medical District, University of Illinois at Chicago & Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 52.203′ N, 87° 40.293′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is on South Wood Street near West Taylor StreetThi when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 912 South Wood Street, Chicago IL 60612, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini (approx. ¾ mile away); Jane Addams' Hull-House and Dining Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jane Addams' Hull House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Paul Muni (approx. 1.3 miles away); Maxwell Street (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Patrick's Church (approx. 1½ miles away); Site of the Haymarket Tragedy (approx. 1.7 miles away); Chicago & North Western Railway Powerhouse (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
More about this marker.
West Side Grounds Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown
3. West Side Grounds Marker
This marker is located near the Neuropsychiatric Institue Building on the University of Illinois at Chicago Campus.
Also see . . .  West Side Grounds - Wikipedia. In May 1893, the club opened the second West Side Park a few blocks west-southwest of the first one, on a larger block bounded by Taylor, Wood, Polk and Lincoln (now Wolcott) Streets. It was located at 41°52′13″N 87°40′21″W. They split their 1893 schedule with South Side Park, then moved into the new ballpark full-time the following year. Some sources state that the club moved to this location to gain attendance from the World's Columbian Exposition, as South Side Park was within walking distance of the 35th Street station on the new South Side Rapid Transit line, which reached the exposition grounds at Jackson Park. (Submitted on April 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
Categories. Sports
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement