Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Garner Army Air Field
Fifty cadets reported for duty by October 1941 and began learning to fly PT-19A training aircraft. Tom Holland of Fayetteville, Tennessee, made the first solo flight. By the time the first class of cadets graduated, the country was at war.
Later classes contained as many as 360 cadets from the U.S., twenty-one Latin American countries, and Turkey. Uvalde citizens of all ages befriended the cadets during their 10-week stay in the area.
After deactivation in 1945, four hangars, the control tower, and runways continued in use as a city airport. The remaining ten one-story buildings became Southwest Texas Junior College which opened its doors to students in 1946. Area residents received flight training and certification at the field, and flight instruction became part of the college curriculum.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13408.)
Location. 29° 13.145′ N, 99° 44.536′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on Sul Ross Road 0.2 miles south of Garner Field Road (County Route 1023), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reading Wood Black (approx. 2.7 miles away); Uvalde County Courthouse (approx. 2.7 miles away); Kincaid Hotel (approx. 2.7 miles away); Uvalde County (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (approx. 2.7 miles away); Capt. William Benson (approx. 2.7 miles away); Early Texas Wagon Yards (approx. 2.7 miles away); Grand Opera House (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
Categories. • Air & Space • Education • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.