Winters in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Cotton Oil Mill
Built 1909-10 by Bird, Hall & Mertz, of San Angelo. Stone for millhouse was quarried at Posey farm, on Gap Creek (SE of city).
Owned by Herman Giesecke and Associates, of Ballinger (1911-27); then by Anderson, Clayton & Co., of Houston. Mill closed in 1939 after cotton farming declined.
Erected 1962 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3713.)
Location. 31° 57.941′ N, 99° 57.895′ W. Marker is in Winters, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Melwood Street and W. College Street, on the left when traveling north on N. Melwood Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winters TX 79567, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Cooke, M.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); Winters Brass Band (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Winters FFA Chapter (approx. ¼ mile away); Winters Korean Veterans Memorial Blue Gap Post Office (approx. half a mile away); Winters (approx. half a mile away); Winters Public Library (approx. half a mile away); Rock Hotel (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winters.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 18, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.