Hamburg in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Village of Hamburg
A Timeline of History
[left photos] Street parade, circa 1940. George M. Pierce, President of the village of Hamburg, 1874-76. Hotel Hamburg was built on the site of the old B.M. Fish Dry Goods Store after it burned in 1917.
1798 - Joseph Ellicott, a land agent for the Holland Land Company, began surveying western New York.
1806 - John Cummings purchased the first lot in the town of Hamburg from the Holland Land Company and built a grist mill on Eighteenmile Creek.
1811 - Daniel and Richard Smith built a grist mill on Eighteenmile Creek and the early settlement known as Smith's Corners developed, later called the village of Hamburg.
1813 - The British burned Buffalo; refugees sought shelter in the Center House, a new inn on the corner of Lake and Main Street.
1820 - Thomas White ran a tannery and general store near Main and Buffalo Streets and the community was called White's corners.
1836 - The First Baptist Church was built on the south side of Main Street at Center Street.
1849 - Hamburg's brick schoolhouse was built at 65 Main Street. Village businesses grew to include Kronenberg's Shop, many taverns, a brewery, a saw mill, a tannery, and the Hamburgh Planing Mill.
1857 - Kopp's Hotel opened and later added an opera house.
1861-1864 - Hamburg men joined the 116th Regiment of the New York State Volunteers. It
1874 - The village of Hamburgh was incorporated with George M. Pierce as the first president.
1877 - The spelling of the village was changed to Hamburg.
1878 - The old village cemetery, now Memorial Park, was closed and graves were moved to the new Prospect Lawn Cemetery.
1883 - Fire destroyed a section of the business district. Soon after the fire, two and three story brick buildings were built, replacing the old wooden structures.
1884 - Hamburg veterans organized a Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) post. The monument in Memorial Park honors Hamburg's soldiers.
1886 - The first telephone came to the village.
1889 - The Hamburg Water and Electric Light Company was established under the leadership of Thomas L. Bunting.
1897 - The Nineteenth Century Club established the Hamburg Free Library with Amanda Michael Dorland as the first librarian.
1900-1901 - Two trolley lines, the Sunshine Line and the Allen Line, linked Hamburg to Buffalo.
[right photos] The Bank of Hamburgh was constructed in 1907. It also housed the Post Office and Hamburg Businessmen's Club. Amanda Michael Dorland, First Librarian, Hamburg Free Library, 1901-20. Main and Buffalo Streets were paved with brick and opened in 1904. John Van Epps, photographer
Erected 2008 by
Location. 42° 42.962′ N, 78° 49.982′ W. Marker is in Hamburg, New York, in Erie County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 62) 0.1 miles east of Center Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Main Street, Hamburg NY 14075, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Isaac Long Alley (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kronenberg Alley (about 500 feet away); Smith Alley (about 600 feet away); Main Street Village of Hamburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Village of Hamburg Historic Walking Tour (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Village of Hamburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anna Mae Bacon Bird Sanctuary (approx. ¼ mile away); Donald "Duke" Spittler (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamburg.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.