Weeping Water in Cass County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Weeping Water Academy
The old church provided space for the chapel, classrooms, and library for the Weeping Water Academy which was established in 1885, as its founders felt their children could not receive adequate training in the local public schools of the day. An active promoter of the school was the Rev. George Hindley. Due to his efforts, the school became and remained identified with the Congregationalists, although the work was largely nondenominational. Three formal courses of study were offered including classical, scientific and English Normal.
As enrollment increased, other buildings were utilized or constructed with the largest being Hindley Cottage. The school closed in June, 1914, due to decreased enrollment as public schools improved. During its 29 years of existence, the academy had some 220 graduates. In 1917 this building became the "Weeping Water Academy Library" and continues to serve as the public library today.
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 118.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 52.259′ N, 96° 8.538′ W. Marker is in Weeping Water, Nebraska, in Cass County. Marker is on State Highway 50, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The Weeping Water Academy building is located on the northeast corner of West H and North Randolph. Marker is in this post office area: Weeping Water NE 68463, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bess Streeter Aldrich, 1881-1954 (approx. 8.1 miles away); Platte River (approx. 12.9 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2015, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2015, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.