Hamburg in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Village of Hamburg Historic Walking Tour
1) First Baptist Church 116 Main Street. The First Baptist congregtion was organized in 1810; this building dates to the 1830s.
2) Brendel Building 87 Main Street. This building was constructed in 1876 for John G. Brendel's General Store. The wing on the left was Brendel's residence.
3) Walter Building 79 Main Street. This building was built in 1917 for the E.D. Walter Meat Market.
4) School Building 65 Main Street. This brick school house was built around 1849 and used until 1868, when the Hamburg Academy was built. It is the earliest remaining school in the village.
5) 1936 Post Office Building 56 Main Street. This is an example of Federal architecture, built during the Great Depression as a Works Progess Administration (WPA) project; it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2005, it was successfully adapted for commercial use.
6) Grange Building 22 Main Street. The beautiful metal facade from 1890 distinguishes Hamburg's Grange Building. Many businesses, including Froehley's undertaking and furniture business were located here.
7) 16 Main Street. This
8) Kronenberg Building 12 Main Street. In 1848, Joseph Kronenberg came to Hamburg to open a tin shop. in 1884, William Kronenberg and Newton Fish built the Fish and Kronenberg store with a decorative peaked roofline. Kronenberg's department store operated for over a century.
9) 36 Buffalo Street. This Art Deco style building was built around 1930 for a utility company.
10) Masonic Temple 76 Buffalo Street. The 1926 classical design of Frank Spangenberg incorporated the old Pfeffer mansion from 1890. This building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
11) Palace Theater 31 Buffalo Street. This grand theater was built by George Biehler and opened in January 14, 1926. It replaced the earlier Palace located across Buffalo Street.
12) Former Kopp's Hotel Garage 19 Buffalo Street. All of Hamburg's large events were held at George Kopp's grand Hotel and Opera House, originally located at Main and Buffalo Streets. Early hotels provided stables for visitors' horses such as Kopp's 1905 stable, which later was converted to a garage.
13) 12 East Main. Original early 20th century wooden style commercial building, home to Cecelia Demmerley's Milo Shop and Pierre's Bicycle Shop.
14) SS. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church 66 East Main Street. Designed in 1910 by Bley and Lyman,
15) 110 East Main Steet. This house was built around 1860, on a very important road of the day. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 2008 by Village of Hamburg Historic Preservation Commission.
Location. 42° 43.001′ N, 78° 49.769′ W. Marker is in Hamburg, New York, in Erie County. Marker is on Buffalo Street (U.S. 62) 0.1 miles north of Main Street (U.S. 62), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamburg NY 14075, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street Village of Hamburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Village of Hamburg (about 400 feet away); Smith Alley (about 500 feet away); Anna Mae Bacon Bird Sanctuary (about 500 feet away); Kronenberg Alley (about 500 feet away); Isaac Long Alley (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The Village of Hamburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Donald "Duke" Spittler (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamburg.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 21, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.