Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
U.S. Signal Station
Nearly two centuries after Rodney recognized its importance, Pigeon Island was again used as a strategic base, during World War II. This U.S. Signal Station was built over Rodney’s existing mortar battery dating from 1780, and Pigeon Island served as a U.S. naval communications signal station until 1947.
The inclined cable lift, to the east was used to haul up diesel fuel to power the generators. The wireless and transmitter receiving mast was atop Fort Rodney.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.484′ N, 60° 57.98′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Touch for map. This marker is at the Pigeon Island Natural Landmark, on the path up to Fort Rodney.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Musket Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Rodney (within shouting distance of this marker); Carib Caves (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ridge Battery (about 90 meters away); Josset's House (about 120 meters away); Gunslide (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Lime Kiln (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); C.O.'s Quarters (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.