Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Musket Redoubt 1782
This outpost to Fort Rodney was built in 1782 to protect the ridge top from surprise attack from sea. The soldiers could be hidden in the sunken area and they could stand on the platform and look down on both sides of the glacis or slopes.
Directly above is Signal Peak, and below is the whole of Rodney Bay. Morne Pimant is to the south, and on a clear day you can see Martinique, 40 kilometers (25 miles) to the north.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.508′ N, 60° 57.966′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Touch for map. This marker is at Pigeon Island National Landmark, on the way from Fort Rodney up to Signal Peak.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ridge Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Signal Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Rodney (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Josset's House (about 120 meters away); Carib Caves (about 150 meters away); Gunslide (about 210 meters away); Lime Kiln (about 210 meters away); C.O.'s Quarters (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.