Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
C.O.’s Quarters 1782, rebuilt 1824
These quarters were never used by Admiral Rodney; he preferred to stay on his flagship “in comfort”.
Traces of a kitchen garden were found above to the left, behind the water tank, and two patios in a B-shape were discovered when the road was built. The quarters used part of the same water catchment system coming from the barracks above. The tower structure is a twentieth-century addition, used by Josset Legh as a wind generator.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.548′ N, 60° 57.792′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Touch for map. This marker is at Pigeon Island National Landmark, near the public beach area. Marker is in this post office area: Pigeon Island, Gros Islet LC01 101, Saint Lucia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cooperage (within shouting distance of this marker); Lime Kiln (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Soldiers' Quarters (about 120 meters away); Officers' Kitchen (about 150 meters away); Officers' Quarters and Mess (about 180 meters Two-Gun Battery (about 180 meters away); Gunslide (about 180 meters away); Josset's House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 330 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.