Fairmont Heights in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In Honor of the Men and Women of Fairmount Heights who Served in World War II
Erected 1946 by Monument Memorial Committee.
Location. 38° 53.961′ N, 76° 54.944′ W. Marker is in Fairmont Heights, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of 59th Avenue and 59th Place on 59th Avenue. Touch for map. The monument site is a triangular park located a block north of Eastern Avenue, NE, the boundary between the District of Columbia and Prince George's County, MD. Marker is in this post office area: Capitol Heights MD 20743, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Misery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 9 (approx. 0.4 miles away in District of Columbia); All Veterans of Seat Pleasant (approx. half a mile away); A Day at the Picture Show (was approx. half a mile away in District of Columbia but has been reported missing. ); Original Federal Boundary Stone East (approx. 0.6 miles away in District of Columbia); Watts Going On (approx. 0.6 miles away in District Butterflies (approx. 0.7 miles away in District of Columbia); National Training School for Women and Girls/ Nannie Helen Burroughs (approx. ¾ mile away in District of Columbia).
More about this marker. The Maryland Historical Trust Historic Sites Survey includes the following it its description of this historical marker:
This is a tall slim monument, constructed of blocks of gray granite and orange sandstone, in random arrangement. The principal section of the monument is a slim pyrmaid, rising from a square base of the same random stone construction. The base rests on a single wide course of granite; a similar course of granite forms a line of demarcation between the base and the pyramid, and two more courses form horizontal lines of decoration in the pyramid itself. The monument is surmounted by a single block of granite in the form of a pyramid itself.
On each face of the square base is a projecting rectangular panel, and to each panel is attached an inscribed copper plate (the east plate is missing). On the south (principal) plate is inscribed
"In honor of the men and women of Fairmount Heights who served in World War II"
"Erected in November 1946 by the Monument Memorial Committee".
Regarding In Honor of the Men and Women of Fairmount Heights who Served in World War II. Fairmount Heights was developed as an African American community in the first third of the 20th century. This marker occupies a prominent place in the community.
Also see . . . Fairmount Heights. (Submitted on June 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • African Americans • War, World II • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,191 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.