LaFayette in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Marsh House
Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
The family's first home was a Williamsburg-style cottage on the site of the present house. While their new house was being built, the Marshes lived in a log house near what is now the town square. When completed, the house had four rooms over four rooms with wide central halls on the first and second floors. A large porch with square columns was constructed on the south side of the house; a second story balcony with a door from the upstairs hall was built over this porch. The original kitchen was in the basement on the east side of the house, and food was brought to the first floor by a dumbwaiter. A wing on the east side was added later to move the kitchen to the main floor.
In the mid-1830's, residents of the growing
In 1863, when it became apparent that the Civil War would come to Northwest Georgia, the Marshes moved south to Cassville, Georgia. During their absence, the house was occupied by Union troops. After the war the Marshes returned home to find all their furniture and household items had been taken. The floors in the downstairs hall were blood soaked and marked with the hoof prints of horses. The family found many bullets in the outer walls and bullet holes in the glass around the upstairs outer door on the house's south side. The family restored the house but left some of the bullet holes as a reminder that the house had survived the war.
The house remained in the family for more than 150 years. The last member of the family to occupy the house was Mr. Marsh's great-granddaughter, Addie Augusta Wert. Walker County purchased the house in spring 2003. Under an agreement with the Walker County Historical Society, the county owns the building and participates in its preservation
Erected by Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail. (Marker Number #2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 34° 42.534′ N, 85° 16.839′ W. Marker is in LaFayette, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street (Georgia Route 1) north of Wardlaw Street. Touch for map. This marker has been paired with another marker, both of which are covered by a canopy. It is located in a community park and is situated midway between the Chattooga Academy and the Marsh House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 North Main Street, La Fayette GA 30728, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chattooga Academy (here, next to this marker); Bragg's Headquarters Shell Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); General LaFayette (within shouting distance of this marker); African American Pioneers of the Marsh-Warthen-Clements House (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker County John B. Gordon Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of LaFayette (within shouting distance of this marker); The Army of Tennessee (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaFayette.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 29, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.