Vero Beach in Indian River County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
City of Vero Beach
The pattern of community development which occurred in Vero Beach provides insight into some important aspects of Florida's history. Although the coastal waters in the region attracted fishermen, settlement of this area did not occur until the 1880s. During that decade the problem of transportation which had deterred settlers was solved by railroad construction. In 1891 a post office named Vero was established at the home of Henry Gifford who had settled on the site in 1880. When the railroad was extended south to Lake Worth, a depot was built at Vero. With the railroad came tourism and a growing interest in the area. At that time, large scale drainage of swamp land such as that which surrounded Vero was being undertaken in Florida. An example of the way in which investors took advantage of the newly recognized potential of swampy areas may be found in creation of the Indian River River Farms Company.
Erected 1975 by Vero Beach Women's Club. (Marker Number F-243.)
Location. 27° 38.395′ N, 80° 24.077′ W. Marker is in Vero Beach, Florida, in Indian River County. Marker is at the intersection of 21st Street and 16th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on 21st Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vero Beach FL 32960, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Osceola Park Historic Residential District Vero Beach City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Baseball and Dodgertown (approx. 1.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial Island Sanctuary (approx. 2.1 miles away); McKee Jungle Gardens (approx. 2.5 miles away); McKee Jungle Garden Gates (approx. 2.5 miles away); US-1 Tee-Beam Bridge in Indian River County (approx. 6.1 miles away); Sebastian (approx. 12.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vero Beach.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.