San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mayer Halff purchased land at this site in 1890, and three years later he and his wife Rachel (Hart) had this house built for their family. Exhibiting Eastlake and Richardsonian Romanesque stylistic influences, the Victorian-Era house features a prominent round arch entry, two-story crenellated bay, two-story full-length side porch with eastlake detailing. Originally built on Goliad Street, the house remained on its original site when the street was removed for construction of the Hemisfair facilities in the 1960s.
The Halff family played an important role in the development of San Antonio and the Texas cattle industry. Many of their descendants, some of whom married into the pioneer Oppenheimer family, still reside in the city.
Erected 1966 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2333.)
Location. Touch for map. Located in Hemisfair Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 Hemisfair Plaza Way, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The German-English School Buildings (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commemorating (about 500 feet away); La Villita (about 600 feet away); Bombach House and Store (about 600 feet away); John W. Smith (about 600 feet away); Gray-Guilbeau House (about 600 feet away); The Dashiell House (about 700 feet away); Little Church of La Villita (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.