Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Shelby County / Memphis
Established 1819; named in honor of ISAAC SHELBY who, along with Andrew Jackson, was appointed United States Commissioner; together they arranged the purchase of the Western District from the Chickasaw Indian Nation in 1818.
Founded 1819, by Andrew Jackson, John Overton and James Winchester; the latter named it. Incorporated, 1826, population less than 500 & area less than 1 sq. mi. It has since its original foundation absorbed seven other towns, is now the state's largest city, one of the country's largest inland ports and the world's largest cotton market.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 47.)
Location. 35° 6.06′ N, 89° 51.227′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Poplar Avenue (U.S. 72) east of Interstate 240, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in the Chick-fil-A parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6282 Poplar Avenue, Memphis TN 38119, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Memphis University School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Crystal Shrine Grotto (approx. 1.3 Christian Brothers High School / Christian Brothers Band (approx. 2.1 miles away); Germantown Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away); Germantown Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); War Comes to Germantown (approx. 2.6 miles away); Germantown, Tennessee (approx. 2.6 miles away); John Gray Historic House (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 26, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.