Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The First Lee House

 
 
The First Lee House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 5, 2013
1. The First Lee House Marker
Inscription. Built in 1869 by James Lee, Jr. (1832–1905), lawyer, riverman and leader in the development of Memphis, the first Lee House was designed by architect Joseph Willis. In this home of Italianate-Victorian design also lived James Lee, Sr. (1808-1889), who in 1866 founded the Lee Line with its home port at Memphis. Their packets and “floating palace” excursion boats plied the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers between Cincinnati and New Orleans.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 71.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 35° 8.813′ N, 90° 2.832′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Adams Avenue west of North 4th Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 239 Adams Ave., Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Let Freedom Ring (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eugene Magevney (about 400 feet away); 1862 Post Office (about 400 feet away); Forrest's Early Home
The First Lee House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 5, 2013
2. The First Lee House Marker
(about 500 feet away); St. Peter Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Forrest and the Memphis Slave Trade (about 700 feet away); Statuary at the Shelby County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Shelby County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement