Near Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
White Oak United Methodist Church
First known as White Oak Chapel this church was dedicated on October, 18, 1859 by Rev. Issac I. Tatum of the Alabama Conference Methodist Episcopal Church South. The Society was organized by Rev. John J. Cassady who served as pastor in 1860. A log schoolhouse, constructed prior to 1859, served as the church building. The church is situated on land donated by Ezekiel Alexander (1803-1879). The grave of his son Asa, who died in 1861, is the earliest marked burial in the cemetery. Within a few years the log church was replaced by one made of rough, undressed lumber. A more finished building was erected in 1888.
The present church building was constructed in 1952-53 upon the foundation of the 1888 building. A fellowship hall including kitchen and Sunday School rooms were added as part of this building project. Dr. A. E. Schaefer was district superintendent and Rev. Ennis Sellers was pastor. The building committee was E. F. Calhoun Chairman, R.A. James, W.V.Powell, Mrs. J.W. Calhoun and Mrs. S.E. Godfrey, Jr.
In 1953 the church was recognized by Emory University and the Sears-Roebuck Foundation as Alabama's "Rural Church of the Year" because of outstanding achievement during 1952-53.
Location. 31° 46.825′ N, 85° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 4.5 miles away); New Lowell United Methodist Church / New Lowell School (approx. 6.1 miles away in Georgia); a different marker also named Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 6.2 miles away); Toney-Standley House (approx. 6.8 miles away in Georgia but has been reported missing); Liberty United Methodist Church / Hilliardsville (approx. 7 miles away); Fendall Hall / Young and Dent (approx. 7.8 miles away); Cowikee Cotton Mills (approx. 7.9 miles away); Eufaula First United Methodist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eufaula.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,731 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.