Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bombach House and Store

 
 
Bombach House and Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 2, 2015
1. Bombach House and Store Marker
Inscription. Otto Bombach, a carpenter, built this combination house and store in 1856 before moving to Mexico. His wife lived here and managed the property until it was sold in 1869. Victor Bracht, author of Texas in 1848, lived here briefly, and in 1874, Henry W. Bitter bought the property, then known as The Villita House. Bitter, who operated a wagon transport business, never lived here. During the Bitters' 76-year ownership, tenants included Frank Umscheid's Old Stand Saloon, a private school, and Jesús and Rachel O'Con’s grocery, restaurant and bar which gave the building the name of O'Con's Corner. The San Antonio Conservation Society bought the property in 1950. After that, it served as an antique shop, the headquarters of the San Antonio Press Club, a museum, and since 1967, a steak house called the Little Rhein - the name given to this predominantly German section of S. Alamo Street at the turn of the century.

This building is a good example of the combined residential and commercial building, a common 19th century form of development.
 
Erected by La Villita Tenants Association and the San Antonio Conservation Society. (Marker Number H.)
 
Location. 29° 25.307′ N, 98° 29.278′ 
Bombach House and Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 2, 2015
2. Bombach House and Store Marker
W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Villita (a few steps from this marker); Gray-Guilbeau House (a few steps from this marker); The Dashiell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Church of La Villita (within shouting distance of this marker); The Acequias of San Antonio (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Site of St. Philip's College (within shouting distance of this marker); Articles of Capitulation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Philip's College (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Also see . . .  La Villita Historic Arts Village. (Submitted on May 4, 2015.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Bombach House and Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 2, 2015
3. Bombach House and Store Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement