Castries, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Inniskilling Fusiliers: 27th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot
In 1751 the system of numbering Regiments was introduced. The Inniskillings became the “Twenty-seventh Regiment”, but were, however referred to as the “Twenty-seventh Inniskillings”. The first time the Inniskilling Regiment fought in Saint Lucia was in 1778. The regiment won battle honours in that engagement. The island was later returned to France.
In 1796 a large expedition sailed from England to recapture the island. The army was led by General Abercrombie. Successful landings were made on the island and the main French fortress on Morne Fortuné was besieged. The 27th Foot and light artillery (Inniskilling Regiment) had fought their way across the Morne ridge to attack from the rear. They captured the Redoubt first then stormed the main fort, a very different approach under the leadership of Brigadier General John Moore.
On May 26th 1796 2,000 black French soldiers and about 100 white defenders were given the honours of war. They were allowed to march out of the fort with their drums beating and flags flying, before laying down their arms. The defenders had requested that they lay down their arms to the 27th Inniskilling Regiment, who had been their main adversaries. They were marched to Vigie, placed on transport vessels and sent to England as prisoners of war.
General Abercrombie attributed the successful outcome of that siege in no small part to the bravery of the 27th Inniskillings. He therefore gave the regiment two significant honours. The defeated soldiers laid down their arms before the ranks of the 27th Inniskilling Regiment and, in addition, Abercrombie granted the regiment the unique honour of having its Colours flown from the flagstaff of the fortress for an hour before the Union flag was raised, a distinction accorded to no other Regiment before or since. This was the second time the Regiment received Battle honours in Saint Lucia.
It was constructed in 1782 after Lieutenant Charles Shipley, a military engineer and surveyor submitted his report on Morne Fortune. Shipley was promoted to lieutenant and sub-engineer and served in the Leeward Islands from 1780 to 1783 working on government fortifications. The stonework of the battery.
The Capture of Morne Fortune 1796 [Not credited but by contemporary South African artist Jason Askew, The Inniskillings Museum.]
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 13° 59.779′ N, 60° 59.581′ W. Marker is in Castries, Castries. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Castries LC04 301, Saint Lucia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 27th Inniskilling Regiment (here, next to this marker); William Arthur Lewis (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Government House Saint Lucia (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); The “Cannon” at Walcott Place (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Sir William Arthur Lewis (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); World Wars Memorial (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Hon. Derek Alton Walcott (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Sir John George Melvin Compton (approx. 1.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castries.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 500 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.