Castalian Springs in Sumner County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
In contrast to many older Southerners who struggled to remain loyal to the Union, their children favored secession. Soon after Abraham Lincoln was elected president in 1860, two of Alfred and Almira Wynne’s sons, Andrew and Joseph Wynne, enlisted in the 2nd Tennessee Infantry under the command of their neighbor, Col. William B. Bate. Their younger sons Valerius and William Hall Wynne also enlisted; William died of disease the next year.
Early in 1862, Confederate cavalry raids designed to interdict Federal supply and communication lines were launched in northern Middle Tennessee. Col. John Hunt Morgan’s command operated in the area and on occasion stopped at Wynnewood to eat. Once, Morgan signed the guest register for one of Wynne’s daughters.
By April, the Union army had set up a military post in the southwestern corner of the Wynne farm and surrounded the fortified camp with log and stone earthworks. Although the Federal troops generally behaved
(Side Bar) “With the assistance of one or two near neighbors, in a very short time a good substantial breakfast was prepared which the weary soldiers ate with a good relish. In the meantime a courier was dispatched to Gallatin to find out the strength of the Lincolnites there.”
- Susan Wynne, daughter of Alfred R. Wynne, March 16, 1862.
(Inscription under the photos in the upper left)
Alfred Royal Wynne-Courtesy Allen Haynes. John Hunt Morgan-Courtesy of Allen Haynes.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower right)
Wynnewood ca. 1898-Courtesy Allen Haynes.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 23.683′ N, 86° 18.967′ W. Marker is in Castalian Springs, Tennessee, in Sumner County. Marker is on Old Highway 25 east of Hartsville Pike, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Castalian Springs TN 37031, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Thomas Sharpe Spencer Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bledsoe's Lick (about 500 feet away); Bledsoe's Fort and Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); General William Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hawthorne Hill (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cragfont (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Cragfont (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ziegler's Station (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castalian Springs.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on May 5, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.