Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Chapel of San Pedro at Fort Lowell

 
 
Chapel of San Pedro at Fort Lowell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, January 1, 2010
1. Chapel of San Pedro at Fort Lowell Marker
Inscription. A tiny chapel, built here in 1915, served the Barriada del Rillito, a community now called El Fuerte. The fifteen immigrant Mexican families of this village gathered outside under mesquite trees to hear Mass. In 1917, Señora Josefa de Mule donated land for a larger building. The second chapel, Santo Angel de la Guarda, was destroyed by a tornado in 1929. The present structure, also built by the men of El Fuerte, was dedicated in 1932. Carmelite fathers from Tucson's Holy Family Church served the congregation until 1948, when St. Cyril's replaced this chapel as the neighborhood parish church.

Spanish translation:
Capilla de San Pedro
Del Fuerte Lowell
En 1915 se construyó una pequeña capilla para servir a las quince familias mejicanas de la Barriada del Rillito, más tarde llamada El Fuerte. En 1917, La Señora Josefa de Mule donó el terreno suficiente para establecer un edificio más grande. La segunda capilla, llamada Santo Angel de La Guarda, fué destruida por un tornado en 1929. Los hombres de El Fuerte construyeron el edificio actual y lo dedicaron en 1932. Los sacerdotes que atendían a los parroquianos de la capilla fueron Carmelitas afiliados con la Iglesia Sagrada Familia de Tucson.
 
Erected 1989 by Tucson-Pima Historical Commission and
Capilla De San Pedro Del Fuerte Lowell image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, January 1, 2010
2. Capilla De San Pedro Del Fuerte Lowell
Spanish translation of marker text.
Arizona Historical Society.
 
Location. 32° 15.656′ N, 110° 52.849′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from East Fort Lowell Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5230 East Fort Lowell Road, Tucson AZ 85712, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Headquarter's Buildings (approx. 0.3 miles away); Quartermaster Depot and Post Trader (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Chief Trumpeter (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rugged Pioneer Soldiers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Officers' Quarters (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Lowell (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Fort Lowell Flagstaff (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
Also see . . .  San Pedro Chapel. A piece of living history, the Chapel today is completely restored and offers all the charm and nostalgia of an historic building along with modern amenities. (Submitted on January 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Hispanic Americans
 
Chapel of San Pedro image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, January 1, 2010
3. Chapel of San Pedro
Chapel of San Pedro image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, January 1, 2010
4. Chapel of San Pedro
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,327 times since then and 164 times this year. Last updated on May 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement