Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
El Paso & Southwestern Depot and Park
[ Spanish Translation: ]
Erected by Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission and Arizona Historical Society.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Granada Avenue (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congress Street (about 800 feet away); Pearl Street / Ott Street (about 800 feet away); Main Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sosa-Carillo-Frémont House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arizona's First Public School (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Manning House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Presidio Wall Camino Real (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
Also see . . . History of the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad Company. It began as a 36-mile long railroad from the Copper Queen Mine in Bisbee, Arizona to a connection with the Santa Fe’s Arizona & New Mexico Railroad located at Fairbank, Arizona. The initial name of this railroad was the Arizona & Southeastern Railroad, built in 1888-1889 by the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Co. a subsidiary of Phelps Dodge Corp. Its main purpose was to be able to transport copper anodes from a smelter in Bisbee to a refinery in El Paso, Texas. To further reduce transportation (Submitted on January 6, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,155 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on May 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.