Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Missionary Ridge School
Missionary Ridge History
Pictured are the student body and faculty of Missionary Ridge School in 1915. Enrollment was 87 students in grades 1-8 taught by two teachers. The school was erected at a cost of $18,539. According to a pre-1912 Parent Teacher Association (PTA) memo, a school named Missionary Ridge High School apparently existed in 1896 near this location as a Hamilton County school; however, no photographs have ever been located.
The Municipality of Missionary Ridge was charted in 1923 and had 2 municipal buildings—the No. 11 fire hall and the center portion of Missionary Ridge School. (The fire hall was then located behind you near the former trolley line and had vending machines for after-school snacks.) Both buildings were semi-gothic designs with gables and slate roofs. The school went through two major additions. In 1925, the PTA demanded a new up-to-date school. Later that year, the PTA announced an addition was to be made to the north of the main school at a cost of $17,000. the last addition, pictured by architect James G. Gauntt, is shown as it would appear completed.
This addition, built in 1930 after the City of Missionary
The school was closed in 1977 after 65 years. It was transferred from Chattanooga Public to the City of Chattanooga. In 1978, the Missionary Ridge Elementary School became the first home of the Chattanooga Regional History Museum. It was relocated after one year and later became
Former students fondly remember inspiring teachers, annual musical programs, a full slate of sports offerings, and clothing drives for the less fortunate. They remember the special concern for the individual that was characteristic of the school from its first days to its last.
Visit Missionary Ridge Elementary School
Alumni on Facebook at:
Erected by Missionary Ridge Neighborhood Association.
Location. 35° 1.131′ N, 85° 15.825′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Crest Road and South Crest Place, on the left when traveling south on South Crest Road. Touch for map. This marker is located on the crest of Missionary Ridge, at the southeast corner of the intersection, near the entrance to the Bragg Reservation. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Medal of Honor Heritage Trail (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Medal of Honor Heritage Trail Dawson's Georgia Battery (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Medal of Honor Heritage Trail (a few steps from this marker); 44th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 24th Wisconsin Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 73rd Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Missouri U.S.A. Troops Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Also see . . .
1. Markers highlight old school, trolley on Chattanooga's Missionary Ridge. This is a link to information provided by the Chattanooga Times Free Press. (Submitted on May 8, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Missionary Ridge Neighborhood Association. This is a link to information provided by the Missionary Ridge Neighborhood Association. (Submitted on May 8, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Missionary Ridge Elementary School Alumni. This is a link to information provided by the Missionary Ridge Elementary School Alumni Facebook Page. (Submitted on May 8, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on May 8, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.