Run of ‘89 East Boundary
At the opening of "Old Oklahoma" April 22, 1889, this was the East Line for the Run starting at 12 o'clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract, west, were peopled by tens of thousands, homes were planted and tent cities sprang up before nightfall.
Erected 1994 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 56.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 35° 39.832′ N, 97° 14.901′ W. Marker is in Luther, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is on Danforth Road (State Highway 66) 0.1 miles west of Indian Meridian Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at a roadside pulloff about three miles west of Luther. Marker is in this post office area: Luther OK 73054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Washington Irving's Camp (approx. 3.9 miles away); a different marker also named Washington Irving's Camp (approx. 3.9 miles away); Tuton's Drugstore (approx. 4.3 miles away); Route 66
More about this marker. As of the photo date, the marker is broken and is lying on the ground.
Also see . . .
1. Land Run of 1889 at Encyclopedia of Oklahoma. (Submitted on May 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Oklahoma Land Run. (Submitted on May 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.