Jonesborough in Washington County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Colonial and Revolutionary Service
A native of South Carolina; Founder of Brown’s Settlement on Nolachucky River, 1771; Merchant, Gunsmith and Blacksmith to the Cherokee Indians; purchased from those Indians two boundaries of land-a Veritable Principality-in 1775; was appointed Commissioner to make treaties with the Indians; Captain under Sevier in the Battle of King’s Mountain, 1780; Major under Sevier in the Revolution, 1781, and in the militia of the State of Franklin, 1785; ancestor of two Governors Brown of Georgia.
Erected 1938 by Tennessee Daughters of the American Colonists.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists marker series.
Location. 36° 17.652′ N, 82° 28.386′ W. Marker is in Jonesborough, Tennessee, in Washington County. Marker is on East Main Street east of North Cherokee Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is affixed to the wall of the Washington County Court House and is located to the left of the entrance doors. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesborough TN 37659, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jonesborough (here, next to this marker); Chester Inn Christopher Taylor House (about 400 feet away); First Abolition Publications (approx. 0.2 miles away); Warner Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alfred Martin Ray Buffalo Solder (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas Emmerson (approx. ¼ mile away); Alfred Eugene Jackson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesborough.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on May 10, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.