Clifton in Wayne County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Occupied River Town
During his famous West Tennessee raid on December 1862, Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest used the Clifton ferry as he entered West Tennessee. He used it again when he left.
Late in December 1863, the 2nd Tennessee Mounted Infantry (US) occupied Clifton and placed a garrison on Stockade Hill behind Clifton Presbyterian Church, which Confederate troops had used as a hospital. The Federals used it as a livery stable and a blacksmith shop. The damage the building suffered resulted in a claim against the United States, which compensated the congregation with $780 in 1915. The funds were used to construct the present tall steeple.
On July 15, 1864, USS Undine, an eight-gun boat, arrived at Clifton. When it left in the afternoon, it struck a snag, tearing a two-foot long gash, and sank. The sailors removed its guns and ammunition, giving two cannons to the Clifton garrison and placing two others on the riverbank to cover the roads to the river and the west bank opposite Clifton.
Five days later, the 19th Tennessee Cavalry (CS) prepared to attack Clifton but first demanded the town’s
Erected 2012 by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 23.077′ N, 87° 59.668′ W. Marker is in Clifton, Tennessee, in Wayne County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 Main Street, Clifton TN 38425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forrest Crosses Tennessee River (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Stribling House Museum (approx. ¼ mile away); Cedar Grove Iron Furnace (approx. 12.2 miles away); Brownsport Furnace (approx. 15½ miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on May 12, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.