Zionsville in Boone County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town of Zionsville Founded in 1852
Convinced by Lebanon businessman William Zion, a director of the Lafayette & Indianapolis Railroad, the Crosses determined to locate it along the planned railway. When his wife declined his proposal to name the town Marysville in her honor, Cross asked Zion, who had joined him as proprietor of the town, to lend his name.
The site was surveyed and plaatted in 1851 by James Mullikin, Boone County surbeyor, and the Town of Zionsville was duly entered into the record by the proprietors on January 26, 1852.
Erected by Zionsville Historical Society.
Location. 39° 57.079′ N, 86° 15.714′ W. Marker is in Zionsville, Indiana, in Boone County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and East Cedar Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Zionsville IN 46077, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lincoln's Stop in Zionsville, Indiana (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Patrick H. Sullivan Michigan Road (approx. 1.3 miles away); Indiana School for the Blind (approx. 7.3 miles away); North Meridian Street Historic District (approx. 8˝ miles away); The Central Canal (approx. 8.6 miles away); Toll House - Michigan Road (approx. 8.6 miles away); Hinkle Fieldhouse (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zionsville.
Also see . . . The Village Heritage. "Zion neither owned any of the land to be developed, nor did he ever live in Zionsville." (Submitted on June 15, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,526 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 15, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.