Leighton in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Chartered in 1830 by act of
the Legislature of Alabama
An Institution of High Order for men
attended chiefly by students
from the southern states.
The college was burned April 28, 1863
by Federal Cavalry Commanded by
Colonel Florence M. Cornyn
under General Granville Dodge.
Bishop Robert Paine 1830-1846
Dr. Edward Wadsworth 1846-1852
James W. Hardy 1852-1853
Rev. Smith Moore 3 months 1853
Dr. R. H. Rivers 1854-1855
Rev. Felix Johnson 1855-1858
Col. J. W. Robertson 1858-1862
Location. 34° 39.704′ N, 87° 33.643′ W. Marker is in Leighton, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is on Lagrange College Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1491 Lagrange College Road, Leighton AL 35646, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Leigh (approx. 3.9 miles away); Belle Mont (approx. 6.1 miles away); Howell & Graves School (approx. 6½ miles away); History of Muscle Shoals, Alabama The Singing River Sculpture (approx. 7½ miles away); History of Littleville, Alabama (approx. 8.3 miles away); The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Alabama (approx. 8½ miles away); Tuscumbia's Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,186 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on May 16, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.