Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Media in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Delaware County Courthouse

 
 
Delaware County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 16, 2015
1. Delaware County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Originally part of the farm property of Sarah Briggs in 1848. The site was laid out by Joseph Fox and purchased by the Delaware County Commissioners in 1849 for the erection of a courthouse. The structure, whose construction plans cost $50, was completed in August, 1851 at an expense of $32,000, and contained one courtroom. A jail with gallows was also erected behind the courthouse. The court building was expanded in 1871, 1888 and 1913. A major rebuilding took place in 1920 under the supervision of architect Clarence Brazier and Judge John Broomall III. An annex was built in 1952 and a county administrative center constructed in 1972. The first trial, a prohibition case, was conducted by Judge Joseph Chapman in 1851 and resulted in a $30 fine. Local citizens assembled here in July 1863, to defend the county against the Confederate Army’s invasion of Pennsylvania during the Civil War. Presidential candidate and later Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan once orated from the front steps. President Ronald Reagan addressed a large public gathering from the Courthouse Square on October 29, 1984 while visiting Media Borough during his campaign for re-election.

This courthouse is generally regarded as one of the handsomest and most attractive public buildings in the entire eastern United States.
 
Erected

Delaware County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 16, 2015
2. Delaware County Courthouse Marker
1996 by Media Borough Council, Delaware County Council.
 
Location. 39° 55.168′ N, 75° 23.507′ W. Marker is in Media, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is on Front Street. Touch for map. The marker is attached to the Delaware County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Media PA 19063, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ronald Reagan (a few steps from this marker); Delaware County (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Delaware County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); McCain Rally (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers and Sailors of Delaware County Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Anna Howard Shaw (approx. one mile away); The Great Trail (approx. 1.5 miles away); Minquas’ Path (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Media.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Delaware County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 16, 2015
3. Delaware County Courthouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement