Prescott in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Col. Edward Jessup
Born in Stamford, Connecticut, he forfeited 500,000 acres near Albany, New York, by taking up arms for the King on the outbreak of the American Revolution. He raised the Loyal (Jessupís) Rangers and served under Burgoyne. This corps was disbanded at the end of the war, its members settling in the present Leeds and Grenville Counties, and on the Bay of Quinte. In return for his services, Jessup received extensive lands from the Crown. In 1810 a townsite was surveyed on this grant which he named after Robert Prescott, Governor-in-Chief of Canada, 1797-1807.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historical Sites Board.
Location. 44° 42.728′ N, 75° 30.543′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on King Street East (County Route 2) just from Vankoughnet Street, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 King Street East, Prescott, Ontario K0E 1T0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prescott War Memorial (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Bytown and Prescott Railway Company 1850 (about 90 meters away); Fort Wellington (about 150 meters away); Major James Morrow Walsh (about 240 meters away); Prescott Barracks and Hospital (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Sir Richard William Scott (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Forwarding Trade at Prescott (approx. half a kilometer away); Grand Trunk Railway (approx. 1.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Also see . . . Edward Jessup - Dictionary of Canadian Biography. With the war lost, Jessup began in the summer of 1783 to plan the resettlement of his corps and was one of those who proposed the Ottawa River and the upper St Lawrence for that purpose. Although his proposal for structured settlements based on military rank was rejected, Haldimand incorporated a number of his other ideas into the plan finally adopted. In that plan Jessupís Rangers were allotted townships No.6 (Edwardsburg), No.7 (Augusta), and part of No.8 (Elizabethtown), all on the St Lawrence, as well as No.2 (Ernestown), west of Cataraqui (Kingston). (Submitted on May 19, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.