Near River Falls in Covington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Horseshoe Lumber Company / River Falls Power Company
The Horseshoe Lumber Company
E.L. More, president of the A&F Division of the L&N Railroad, arrived in River Falls from Nashville in 1897 to spearhead the construction of a branch line of the L&N. Recognizing a business opportunity in the large quantity of virgin longleaf pine timberland in the area, he purchased a half-interest in a small mill located on Buck Creek near River Falls. He was encouraged by his long-time friend and mentor Major E.C. Lewis, president of the NC & STL Railroad and L&N board member. From this beginning until its closure following the disastrous flood of 1929, the Horse Shoe Lumber Company along the river and near this marker was one of the largest, most modern sawmills of its time. The mill operated an extensive logging rail system using as many as eight locomotives over the years. In addition to More, key mill personnel included his long-time associate Cyrus A. O’Neal as company vice president, Henry Stanley as company secretary, and E.W. Arwood as private secretary to Mr. More. Gus Henderson of Andalusia was mill superintendent. John Miles Cooper, also of Andalusia, served as woods foreman.
River Falls Power Company
E.L. More organized the River Falls Power Company in 1920 to provide a grid system to furnish electricity
Erected 2010 by Covington Historical Society, Inc. and the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° 20.943′ N, 86° 31.929′ W. Marker is near River Falls, Alabama, in Covington County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 84 and Red Level Road (County Route 107), on the right when traveling west on U.S. 84. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: River Falls AL 36476, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Montezuma (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Courthouse Clock Bell (approx. 4.1 miles away); Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place (approx. 4.1 miles away); History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library (approx. 4.1 miles away); First National Bank Building (approx. 4.1 miles away); Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams (approx. 4.2 miles away); Covington County Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 4.2 miles away); Covington County War Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,931 times since then and 64 times this year. Last updated on May 19, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?