Zzyzx in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
A Traveler's Rest
In 1776, Father Francisco Garces, guided by Mohave Indian traders, was the first European to enter this area. By the 1860s, the Indian footpath became a wagon road for freight and passengers service between San Bernardino, California, and Prescott, Arizona. Several colorful accounts of travel on the "Mojave Road" fill the historical record, with mixed reviews of the palatability of the water at Soda Springs.
Soda Springs grew to include the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad, an evaporative salt works, and a small religious colony by the early 1900s. The Zzyzx Mineral Springs and Health Resort opened in the mid-1940s, and remained in operation until 1974. Today the former resort houses California State University Desert Studies Center.
We found at the base of the hills, on the edge of the salt lake, several fine springs, slightly brackish, but not unpalatable. ~ On November 15, 1853, Lt. Robert S. Williamson U.S. Army Corps of Topographical Engineers, was the first person to describe this welcome oasis.
Erected by Mojave National Preserve, National Parks Service, and U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 35° 8.602′ N, 116° 6.229′ W. Marker is in Zzyzx, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on South Interstate 15, on the left. Touch for map. Located just south of Baker along Interstate 5, exit Zzyzx Road and turn east. Marker is at or near this postal address: South Interstate 15, Baker CA 92309, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Lost Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); The Desert Studies Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Soda Springs - Zzyzx Mineral Springs (about 700 feet away); Francis Marion "Borax" Smith (approx. 3.9 miles away); Marl Springs / Seventeenmile Point (approx. 9.8 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2015, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 20, 2015, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on May 22, 2015, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.