Amherst in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Williamsville School No.9
This schoolhouse has been restored as closely as possible to its appearence between 1880-1890. It is an excellent example of late 19th-century vernacular schoolhouse architecture with bonneted windows in the Italianate style. The rondel over the entrance door identifies the school and its construction date. The interior south wall and the teacher's platform have been rebuilt, and the original flooring has been exposed and repaired. The original exterior and interior paint colors have been replicated.
The desks were all two-seaters similar to the pair of desks on the front of the room. You can still see the marks on the floor where the original desks were anchored. The single-seat desks now being used, while not original to this building, are from the same time period.
The stove has been placed where charred floor planking indicated its original location. Older boys
In 1885, Grover Cleveland was president of the United States. His portrait hangs on the wall in this school to indicate the pride that area residents may have felt in having someone from Erie County in the White House.
The typical school day lasted from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. At noon, the students ate ouside during good weather. After lunch they helped with school chores or played games. According to oral histories, children attending this school sometimes played "flood", a tag type of game they made up because the ground around the school was often wet or flooded due to its proximity to Ransom Creek.
It was not until after 1900, when increased immigration led to a heightened interest in Americanization, that schools commonly had the American flag inside. The flag on this flagpole has 38 stars, as there were only 38 states in 1880.
Willamsville School #9 was closed in 1951. In 1953, the building was sold to Alfred Jurek Post #1672 and was utilized as a youth center. Ransom Oaks Development purchased the land in 1971 and donated the building to Amherst Museum prior to the construction of the houses and townhouses which now stand at the site.
Erected by Buffalo Niagara Heritage
Location. 43° 4.943′ N, 78° 43.703′ W. Marker is in Amherst, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Tonawanda Creek Road and New Road. Marker is on the grounds of the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3755 Tonawanda Creek Road, Buffalo NY 14228, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bigelow House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweet Home Common School No.15 (about 400 feet away); Transit Road Church (about 500 feet away); The Erie Canal at Amherst (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pendleton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Erie Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Controlling Water in the Erie Canal (approx. 3½ miles away); Town of Clarence - Swormville (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amherst.
Also see . . . Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village. (Submitted on May 20, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for Williamsville School No.9.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 20, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.