Beloit in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Beloit Industrial Institute
The Beloit Industrial Institute was founded in 1888 by Industrial Missionary Association, an area subdivision of the American Missionary Associations. The President of the Association, Dr. Charles B. Curtis, was a Presbyterian missionary and educator from Wisconsin who established the school and founded the Beloit community. Dr. Curtis named the community for his Alma Mater, Beloit College in Wisconsin. The Beloit Industrial Institute gained recognition as the first Christian school for African - Americans who lived in Dallas County.
From 1888 to 1923, the Beloit school functioned as the intellectual, social and religious hub for the thriving Beloit community. The school was the first in Dallas County to combine agribusiness training with strong Christian teachings. In 1923, the Dallas County School Board gained legal possession of the school which they retained until 1963 when desegregation and zoning forced the closing of the school's doors. For a period of ten years, the school building was owned by a private business. In 1974 the building was purchased by the Beloit Community Organization. It now functions as a multi - purpose, community center and exists as a shining example of progress, self-reliance and community service for generations of past, present and future Alabamians.
Erected 1994 by Alabama Historical Commission / Beloit Community Organization.
Location. 32° 21.258′ N, 87° 9.204′ W. Marker is in Beloit, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is on Alabama Highway 22 West (Route 22), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marion Junction AL 36759, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cahawba (approx. 0.3 miles away); Whitt Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Alabama's Native Prairie (approx. 3.7 miles away); Cahaba's Changing Landscape (approx. 3.7 miles away); Black Belt Transformations (approx. 3.7 miles away); Missing Pieces (approx. 3.7 miles away); Old Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Memorials for Prisoners of War (approx. 3.9 miles away).
More about this marker. The School is located off Highway 22 just across the railroad tracks.
1. Marker Author
The text of this marker was written by Darion Petty, then a graduate student in the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs at the University of Alabama. Darion and another student leader, Ken Crawford, undertook
Harry J. Knopke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Vice President for Student Affairs
The University of Alabama
— Submitted April 16, 2010, by Harry Knopke of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,786 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on May 20, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1. submitted on September 3, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 2. submitted on September 4, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 3. submitted on September 3, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.