Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Flemingsburg in Fleming County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fleming County

 
 
Fleming County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 10, 2015
1. Fleming County Marker
Inscription. Kentucky's 26th, formed from Mason in 1798. Named for John Fleming, Rev. War officer who came in 1776 to mark and improve land. Built Fleming's Station, among the county's earliest. Fellow pioneers were John Finley, Michael Cassidy, and George Stockton, his half-brother. Stockton owned land, laid out, and named Flemingsburg, 1796.
Presented by Fleming County Bicentennial Committee

 
Erected 1998 by the Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 950.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 38° 25.375′ N, 83° 43.985′ W. Marker is in Flemingsburg, Kentucky, in Fleming County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Square and North Main Cross Street (Kentucky Route 57), on the left when traveling south on Court Square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Court Square, Flemingsburg KY 41041, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James J. Andrews (a few steps from this marker); John F. Day (1913-1982) (a few steps from this marker); Fleming Hotel
Fleming County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 10, 2015
2. Fleming County Courthouse
(a few steps from this marker); Gorman Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Tobacco Plug Factory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Herman Chittison / Accomplished Jazz Pianist (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockton's Station (approx. half a mile away); Michael Cassidy (1755-1829) (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flemingsburg.
 
Also see . . .  Fleming County History. (Submitted on May 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Fleming County Courthouse Sign image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 10, 2015
3. Fleming County Courthouse Sign
Sign reads: The central court square of Flemingsburg was delineated when the town plan was surveyed in the 1790's. A county courthouse has continuously occupied the site. The current building is a 1952 neocolonial structure designed by the architectural firm of Kenroy, Cormack, and Scott.
View looking NNW towards West Main Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 10, 2015
4. View looking NNW towards West Main Street.
Area photo looking down North Main Cross Street image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 10, 2015
5. Area photo looking down North Main Cross Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement