Gananoque in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Gananoque Town Hall
Built about 1831-32, and designed in the late phase of the Neo-Classic style, this structure is among the best of its type remaining in Ontario. Constructed as a dwelling for John McDonald, a local landowner, merchant, postmaster and later a member of the Legislative Council of Canada, it remained in the family until 1911. The earliest settlement at the site of Gananoque took place in the late 1790's, and the first major survey of a village site was carried out in 1842. First incorporated in 1862, Gananoque became a town on January 1, 1890. The town hall was deeded to the corporation by the McDonald heirs in October, 1911, and accepted in December of that year.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario.
Location. 44° 19.706′ N, 76° 9.882′ W. Marker is in Gananoque, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on King Street East (Provincial Highway 2) 0.2 kilometers west of Stone Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the front lawn of the Gananoque Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 King Street East, Gananoque, Ontario K7G 1E9, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this Private John Henry (Harry) Brown (a few steps from this marker); Colonel Joel Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Raid on Gananoque (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Gananoque (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); War of 1812-1814 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Elizabeth Rabb Beatty (approx. 14.7 kilometers away); The Darling Store / Le magasin Darling (approx. 16.2 kilometers away); Darlingside (approx. 16.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gananoque.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 21, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.