Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montezuma in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Early Aqueduct

 
 
Early Aqueduct Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 16, 2015
1. Early Aqueduct Marker
Inscription.
Early Aqueduct
This towpath leads to the
Richmond Aqueduct built 1849
second largest aqueduct
carrying Erie Canal waters
over the Seneca River.

 
Erected 2011 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
 
Location. 43° 0.673′ N, 76° 42.615′ W. Marker is in Montezuma, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker is on Chapman Road 0.3 miles west of High Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montezuma NY 13117, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Landmark and Pride in Our Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); Montezuma Heritage Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Opened in 1828 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Erie Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Montezuma (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mentz Church (approx. 2 miles away); Port Byron's Lock 52 (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montezuma.
 
Also see . . .  Old Richmond Aqueduct - Tug 44. Great pictures of the remains of the aqueduct.
Southward image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 16, 2015
2. Southward
(Submitted on May 22, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.) 
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Eastward image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 16, 2015
3. Eastward
Northward image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 16, 2015
4. Northward
Westward & Kiosk image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 16, 2015
5. Westward & Kiosk
Kiosk Towpath & Aqueduct Information image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 16, 2015
6. Kiosk Towpath & Aqueduct Information
Towpath and Richmond Aqueduct. This segment of the towpath trail is part of the first enlargement of the canal that widened and moved just south of the original Clinton's Ditch. It served as the walking path for mules, horses, and their drivers to pull the boats, and leads to a high embankment onto the Richmond Aqueduct that carried the canal over the Seneca River.

Work began on 1849 on the "water bridge," named for Van Richmond who designed it. It replaced the hazards of crossing directly through the river by lifting the canal up over it. Completed in 1857 it cost $216,510.63.

The second largest aqueduct on the Erie Canal, the aqueduct consisted of 110,000 linear feet of wood pilings that were driven into the soft ground to help provide support for the 31 stone arches that were 11 feet high and 22 feet wide spanning the Seneca River. The aqueduct was almost 900 feet long and 86 feet wide, consisting of limestone masonry. It was dismantled on 1917 to make way for the newly constructed Barge Canal. Seven arches remain today on the east side of the canal and three on the west side.
Kiosk Welcome Information image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 16, 2015
7. Kiosk Welcome Information
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 22, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.
Paid Advertisement