Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Your search returned just one marker . . .
Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Eudora Baptist Church

 
 
Eudora Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, May 22, 2015
1. Eudora Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Side 1:
Organized October 18, 1850 on two acres of land donated by Col. Eppy White, using the Greek word "Eudora" signifying "good gift" as its name, this church met in a log schoolhouse until the congregation's first structure was erected in 1851, its first pastor being J.B. Canada. Here, at what was then called White's Station, a larger building of wood-frame construction was completed in 1858. During the Civil War, the sanctuary was used as a Federal hospital. In 1866, the "Memphis Avalanche" newspaper held an ice cream supper to raise funds for the restoration of the church's interior. This wood-frame sanctuary remained in constant use until its demolition in 1964, with the present sanctuary being dedicated on July 21, 1968.
(Continued on other side)
Side 2:
(Continued from other side)
Of the congregation's many pastors, Dr. Fred M. Wood, Sr.'s service was significant for its length (1952-1983) and Eudora's unprecedented growth. Every church building except one was planned, built, dedicated and paid for during his tenure and church membership and Sunday School
Eudora Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, May 22, 2015
2. Eudora Baptist Church Marker
enrollment grew to its greatest number recorded. In 1973, the church proudly hosted the 99th annual Tennessee Baptist Convention. In 1998, Eudora was able to temporarily accommodate the Memphis Symphony and a Mandarin Church. The city's development patterns brought younger families back into the community and Eudora Baptist experienced growth once more. The church continues on its stated mission of being "In The Heart Of Memphis For The Heart Of Memphis."
 
Erected by Shelby County Historical Commission and Eudora Baptist Church.
 
Location. 35° 6.97′ N, 89° 54.386′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Poplar Avenue (U.S. 72) and South Perkins Road, on the left when traveling east on Poplar Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4676 Poplar Avenue, Memphis TN 38117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Eudora Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William G. Leftwich, Jr. Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Mary's Episcopal School (approx. one mile away); St. Agnes Academy (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mullins United Methodist Church
Marker in relation to new church sign in distance image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, May 22, 2015
3. Marker in relation to new church sign in distance
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Second Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gen. James M. Kennedy Hospital (approx. 1½ miles away); Tragic Accident Sparks Sanitation Strike (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil
 
More. Search the internet for Eudora Baptist Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on May 22, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 22, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.