Port Byron in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Metaphor for Change
The Canalway Trail
The opening of the Auburn branch of the New York Central Railroad in 1841, stimulated growth of other villages at Port Byron's expense. The decline accelerated when the old canal closed in 1918, but competition from automobiles and trucks gave cities like Auburn and Syracuse an overwhelming advantage. Today, Port Byron is a residential community - one with a famous past, and a role call of personalities who helped to build our nation.
Brigham Young in Port Byron. Brigham Young, the future leader of the Morman cChurch, lived here in Port Byron for several years in the 1820s. He made his living painting furniture and canal boats, carding wool, and doing carpentry. In 1824, he married Miriam Works and in 1825, they had a daughter. Brigham and Miriam moved to Mendon in 1829, but the house where they lived in Port
Young was only just beginning his life; he would eventually build on the foundation begun by Joseph Smith and his Book of Mormon, and establish a commonwealth in the Utah desert where his followers could live in peace. By the time he died in 1877, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which he helped to found, had become a uniquely American religion.
The development of the Mormon Church was part of a broad religious movement known as the Second Great Awakening that was centered in western New York. It sought to redefine religion and spirituality to the new merchantile and industrial America that was taking shape (in large part) because of the Erie Canal. While liberal Protestantism was invigorated by the integration of social concerns, new evangelicalisms like Mormonism also flourished.
[photos] Brigham Young in a photo from the late 1850s after he had become leader of the Mormon Church. Brigham Young rented this house in 1825 after his first child was born. Built in 1818, it stands today on the corner of Pine & South Streets. Young worked at the Park Pail factory as a painted in 1824. By 1829, the building had been converted to Hayden's Woolen Mills. Images: left : Library of Congress; center & right, courtesy of Penny Helzer.
Erected by New York State Canals
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 43° 2.249′ N, 76° 37.154′ W. Marker is in Port Byron, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker can be reached from Utica Street (New York State Route 31) 0.3 miles east of Main Street (New York State Route 38). Touch for map. Marker is in Schasel Park. Is is the south panel of a tri-panel kiosk. Marker is in this post office area: Port Byron NY 13140, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tanner's Dry Dock (here, next to this marker); Village of Port Byron (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Byron (approx. ¼ mile away); Brigham Young (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry Wells (approx. 0.6 miles away); Glaciers, Drumlins, and High Level Lakes (approx. ¾ mile away); Blacksmith Shop and Mule Shed (approx. ¾ mile away); The Erie House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Byron.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 24, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.