Wetumpka in Elmore County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Baptist Church of Wetumpka
Baptists settlers scattered along the Coosa River Valley established the church May 26, 1821. For the first twenty years, it was mostly known as the Coosa River Baptist Church. Migrating members sought several locations for the church, finally settling along the banks of Calloway Creek. In 1827, John Gray, church clerk and deacon, temporarily relocated the meeting house near a spring on his property. The frontier church grew successfully, but a few members moved to Wetumpka in 1836 due to some doctrinal differences. In 1837, the congregation united with a small church in town and became the Coosa River Baptist Church of Wetumpka.
Both the church and the town suffered loss in the 1840s. In 1843, when a fire ravaged the west side of town, the church building burned to the ground. The congregation secured another meeting place in a vacant store on the east side of the river. It, too, burned when a fire swept through downtown Wetumpka in 1845.
The building changed very little until 1909, when they added decorative features to the sanctuary, new pulpit furniture, stained glass windows, electric lights and new pews.
In 1928, they added a three-story Sunday school addition to the rear of the building. In 1932, the congregation remodeled the sanctuary to install a new pipe organ. They expanded the educational facilities in 1959 and constructed a new sanctuary in 1967. In 1992, they added more educational space and a fellowship hall.
Erected by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 32.343′ N, 86° 12.595′ W. Marker is in Wetumpka, Alabama, in Elmore County. Marker is at the intersection of West Bridge Street (Alabama Route 212) and Dozier Street, on the right when traveling east on West Bridge Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 West Bridge Street, Wetumpka AL 36092, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Wetumpka Light Guard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church Wetumpka Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Wetumpka L&N Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wetumpka's Bridges (approx. ¼ mile away); High Water Mark (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Calaboose (approx. ¼ mile away); Elmore County Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wetumpka.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 784 times since then and 56 times this year. Last updated on May 25, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.