Abbeville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Abbeville/Seven Flags and an Arrow Over Abbeville
Pre-historical man: Creek Indian Nation, West 1519-1814; Spanish Florida 1540-1702; French Louisiana 1702-1763; British West Florida 1763-1780; Spanish West Florida 1780-1813; United States 1813-1861; Georgia Territory 1732-1802; Mississippi Territory 1798-1804; Alabama Territory 1817-1819; Washington County 1800-1812; Connecuh County 1818-1819; Confederate States of America 1861-1865; United States 1865-
Abbe, an Indian name of nearby creek meaning a grove of dogwood trees.
Erected 1978 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Henry County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 34.299′ N, 85° 14.953′ W. Marker is in Abbeville, Alabama, in Henry County. Touch for map. Located in front of the Abbeville city offfice building. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Washington Street, Abbeville AL 36310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this A County Older Than the State (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry, The Mother County (about 300 feet away); Methodist Episcopal Church, South (about 800 feet away); The First Baptist Church of Abbeville/Abbeville Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bethune-Kennedy House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School / First Free Secondary School in Alabama (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abbeville Southern Railroad/Pelham House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rosa Parks Lived Here (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abbeville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 172 times this year. Last updated on May 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.