New Hope Cemetery
New Hope Baptist Church and Cemetery were established here on land with a log house donated by Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Jackson Glass on August 21, 1884, for religious and educational purposes. The five-member church began with trustee Manson Glass. On September 19, 1884, James P. Cambron presented a request for membership for the newly formed New Hope Church in the Cahaba Valley Baptist Association.
New Hope Cemetery is owned and maintained by Grantswood Baptist Church.
In loving memory of our Ancestors buried here The oldest family member buried in NEW HOPE CEMETERY is Martha Keith Cambron Webber (7/19/1827-4/9/1920), widow of Jackson Cambron, Co. D, 21 Rgt., Georgia Infantry Civil War. Notable burials include James P. Cambron (1/13/1859-6/1/1936) and his wife Nancy E. Stone Cambron (11/9/1853-9/15/1943). One of several Glass and Cambron unions occurred when Jessie W. Glass (7/10/1866-12/6/1939) married Adelia “Dellie” Ann Cambron Glass (10/18/1878-4/11/1961). The oldest marked grave is their son John M. Glass (10/10/1901-10/18/1917), who died at age 17 of the Spanish Influenza Pandemic.
Members of the Glass and Cambron families have always been and remain active supporters of the church and cemetery.
MILITARY MEN known to be buried at NEW HOPE CEMETERY include:
31 World War I Veterans
17 World War
2 Korean War Veterans
2 Vietnam War Veterans
Listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register in 2012
Erected 2012 by The Glass and Cambron Families.
Location. 33° 31.698′ N, 86° 39.646′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Grantswood Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in front of the cemetery fence. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35210, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alabama Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mt. Hebron School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Mt. Hebron Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Wallace S. McElwain / Irondale Furnace Ruins (approx. 4.1 miles away); Howard College (approx. 4.3 miles away); Ruhama Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Wilson Chapel And Cemetery (approx. 4½ miles away); Roebuck Springs Historic District (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Also see . . . New Hope Cemetery at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on September 18, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2013, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on May 29, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 3, 2013, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.