Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1982 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County.
Location. 36° 9.55′ N, 86° 46.87′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 Broadway, Nashville TN 37203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randall Jarrel (a few steps from this marker); Nashville's First Public School (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain John Gordon 1763-1819 (within shouting distance of this marker); The South Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Nashville Centennial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christ Church Cathedral/Old Christ Church (1831~1890) (about 600 feet away); Vauxhall Garden Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
Also see . . . U.S. Customs House. When President Rutherford B. Hayes laid the cornerstone of the Customs House on September 19, 1877, it symbolized the end of Southern Reconstruction after the Civil War. Approval for a federal building dates to 1856, but construction delays and the Civil War caused Nashville to wait for more than twenty years for a facility to house federal courts, customs, and post office. Treasury architect William Appleton Potter designed this grand example of the Victorian Gothic style. From its massive yet ornate stone block a central clock tower soars. The many rich details, such as the Gothic lancet windows and a deeply inset triple-arch entrance, make this an exceptional example of Victorian Gothic architecture. In the 1990s the Customs House was declared surplus property by the federal government and was turned over to Metro Nashville government which worked toward its renovation and reuse. The building is now leased from the city by a private firm which renovated its interior and leases the space to office tenants – a significant milestone in historic preservation in Nashville. (Submitted on April 28, 2015.)
Categories. • Government • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2015. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on May 29, 2015. Photo 1. submitted on April 21, 2015, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.