Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clay in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Clay Community

 
 
The Clay Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
1. The Clay Community Marker
Inscription. The clay soil of the area, first cultivated by Creek Indians, gave this agricultural community it name in 1878 when a post office was established. Clay’s historical roots date to the early 1800s through two small communities, Ayres and Self’s Beat, documented by the founding of Mount Calvary Presbyterian Church around 1806 and Cedar Mountain Church (now Clay United Methodist Church) in 1819. In early years, the community was a stagecoach stop along the route from Elyton (now part of Birmingham) to Gadsden.

Lying in the Appalachian foothills, Clay is cherished for its environmental beauty, history, and landmarks. It is uniquely positioned in three watershed basins: the Black Warrior, Cahaba and Coosa. The Cahaba, Alabama’s longest free-flowing river, originates from springs just northeast of Clay. Clay is home to Butler Mountain, Jefferson County’s highest elevation. Incorporated in June 2000, Clay now includes Chalkville and its rich heritage, including Taylor Memorial United Methodist Church established in 1819.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Clay.
 
Location. 33° 42.022′ N, 86° 36.204′ W. Marker is in Clay, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Springville Road (County
The Clay Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
2. The Clay Community Marker
Road 30) north of Deerfoot Parkway, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker located in front of the Clay City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6757 Old Springville Road, Clay AL 35048, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wear Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Pioneer Massey Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Cahaba Heart River of Alabama (approx. 4.3 miles away); Pinson, Alabama (approx. 4.6 miles away); Jefferson Warriors (approx. 4.6 miles away); Trussville Furnace (approx. 4.9 miles away); Trussville, Alabama (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clay.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
The Clay Community Marker Looking South image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
3. The Clay Community Marker Looking South
Clay City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
4. Clay City Hall
Clay United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
5. Clay United Methodist Church
Mount Calvary Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 28, 2009
6. Mount Calvary Presbyterian Church
Taylor Memorial United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
7. Taylor Memorial United Methodist Church
Clay Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
8. Clay Public Library
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 691 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on May 29, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement