Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Haddam in Middlesex County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

East Haddam

 
 
East Haddam Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 29, 2015
1. East Haddam Marker
Inscription.
East Haddam
Incorporated 1734
This land was part of an original purchase from the Indians in 1662 for thirty coats – about $100. It included Machimoodus, “the place of noises”, so named from subterranean sounds formerly heard there. Layout of highways began in 1669. The first settlement was along Creek Row in 1685. Ferry service across the Connecticut River began in 1695 and ended with the completion of the swing bridge in 1913. The first Ecclesiastical Society was formed in 1704. Shipbuilding and the manufacture of cotton goods flourished and declined here during the two centuries before the steamboat era ended in the 1930s. From earliest settlement many streams provided water power for mills. The militia served in three wars, with notable contributions during the Revolution. Areas of town are known as Millington, Hadlyme, North Plains, Leesville, Johnsonville, Moodus, Little Haddam, and the East Haddam Landings.

(reverse side)
Settlers of East Haddam
1685 – 1699
Nicholas Ackley John Bates John Booge
Daniel Brainard, Jr. John Chapman
Daniel Cone George Gates Thomas Hungerford
Samuel and William Spencer
Abraham and John Willey

Notable East Haddamites
The Reverend Stephen Hosmer –
East Haddam Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 29, 2015
2. East Haddam Marker
(reverse side)
first minister
Joseph Spencer – major general in Revolution
Epaphroditus Champion – Commissary General
Nathan Hale – teacher, patriot, and martyr
Dyar Throop – first Judge of County Court
Jonathan O. Moseley – U.S. Representative
William H. Goodspeed – shipbuilder
William E. Nichols – inventor & manufacturer
Luther Boardman – silver plating & britannia
Morgan G. Bulkeley – Governor & U.S. Senator
Francis H. Parker – local historian

Erected by the Town of East Haddam
the East Haddam Historic District Commission
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1979
 
Erected 1979 by Town of East Haddam, East Haddam Historic District Commission, Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 27.123′ N, 72° 27.714′ W. Marker is in East Haddam, Connecticut, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Norwich Road (Connecticut Route 82) and Lumber Yard Road, on the left when traveling east on Norwich Road. Touch for map. Located in front of East Haddam Town Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7 Main Street, East Haddam CT 06423, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured
East Haddam Town Building image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, May 29, 2015
3. East Haddam Town Building
as the crow flies. Goodspeed Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester-Hadlyme Ferry (approx. 2.7 miles away); Impressionism in Connecticut (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Chester-Hadlyme Ferry (approx. 2.8 miles away); Thirty Mile Island Plantation Burying Ground (approx. 3.4 miles away); Haddam (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site Of Haddam Town Hall (approx. 3.5 miles away); Chester (approx. 3.5 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. East Haddam, Connecticut. (Submitted on May 31, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. East Haddam, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 31, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement