Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hales Corners in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hales Corners – A Suburb

 
 
Hales Corners – A Suburb Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 18, 2015
1. Hales Corners – A Suburb Marker
Inscription. The arrival in 1903 of the Rapid Transit, an electric train, marked the beginning of the transition of Hales Corners from a farm village to a suburban community. People began to build their homes in the village with the intention of commuting to Milwaukee for work. A trip to downtown Milwaukee on the train took just 29 minutes.

The first waiting station, a four-sided rain shelter, was constructed on this site. The Rapid Transit served Hales Corners until 1951.

The growing village population needed new services. Soon Hales Corners had a bank, a savings and loan, electricity for private housing and even a telephone exchange. Automobile dealers such as Rudolph Holz and Henry Schmidt replaced the carriage maker.

The Bosch Hotel, which boasted a ballroom on the second floor, was built in 1904 to accommodate Rapid transit customers. Restored and revitalized, it can be seen today on the northwest corner of this intersection at Highway 100 and Janesville Road. A bank opened in the building north of the hotel and other commercial buildings and homes sprang up along what was then Conrad Road, now Highway 100.

Until 1917 Conrad Road ran only as far north as Edgerton Avenue. Completion of Highway 100 in 1935 forged another route to the city and continued the process of urbanization.

Hales Corners
Hales Corners – A Suburb Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 18, 2015
2. Hales Corners – A Suburb Marker
East side of two sided marker
became an unincorporated village in 1927 in order to have a tax district to pay for street lighting, a sanitary district (which wasn’t formed until 1940), and to organize a fire department. The village incorporated in 1952.
 
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society. (Marker Number 27.)
 
Location. 42° 56.264′ N, 88° 2.884′ W. Marker is in Hales Corners, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of S. 108th Street (State Highway 100) and West Forest Home Avenue, on the right when traveling north on S. 108th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5860 S 108th Street, Hales Corners WI 53130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community (about 600 feet away); A Village Emerges! (about 700 feet away); Hales Corners – A Farm Village (about 700 feet away); Turn of the Century Business District (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery
Hales Corners – A Suburb Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 18, 2015
3. Hales Corners – A Suburb Marker
Looking north along Hwy 100
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. 1.3 miles away); Janesville Plank Road (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hales Corners.
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Hales Corners – A Suburb Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 18, 2015
4. Hales Corners – A Suburb Marker
Looking south along Hwy 100
The Bosch Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 18, 2015
5. The Bosch Hotel
Mentioned in marker
Bank Building image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 18, 2015
6. Bank Building
mentioned in marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 1, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement